Friday, December 2, 2011

Status Report

Okay, I'm using Blogger's new format now and it's pretty fancy. It shows me pages views for the entire site and even individual posts. Our most-viewed post is actually my kit-bashed Wracks from way back when at somewhere around 3,500 views! Ha! Suck it, Ian!

...aww, I made myself sad... 

Anyhow! Updates!

I have to admit, I've been having a bit of a painter's crisis lately. I had gotten to a point where I was sitting down, brush in had, going, "Why am I doing this? This is no longer fun". Granted, trying to mesh life, commissions and sanity (as well as some other things SKYRIM) was not particularly helping the situation.

So, in a fit of insanity and anger, I made some weird decisions:
- I've binned all my GW armies with the exception of things I can use to make Ian's armies better (i.e.- Speedy Ork things, Dark Eldar for Adepticon, etc.).
- Bought some Confrontation (from the bin, oddly enough)
- Started scouring the internet for ideas, then subsequently started forraging for sticks, rocks and bark.

Basically, I feel that I completely lost sight of what I was doing as little as 4 years ago. I wanted to get better. I wanted to be off kicking ass in competitions. Instead, I got complacent. I started taking on commissions and starting focusing on "getting finished" instead of "getting better".

I should be able to do this: Examplez

But I can't.

So, I'm starting over. I have a painted army for 40K, Fantasy, Malifaux and even War Machine sitting up in Epic Loot's cases, so I'm good for playing. I'm going to take a break on my commissions whenever I get the current batch done, so that'll give me more breathing room/project table space. I'm going to go through every how-to, tutorial and step-by-step I can get my hands on and I'm going to practice. I will be able to make displays, do Non-Metallic Metals and free-hand better.

I will get better.

I know a few people are peeved that I abandoned the Bad Moons yet again and that I dropped the brand new Ogre army I was starting, but I had to do it for sanity's sake. Maybe once I get better I can do the Bad Moons how they should be done, but right now I can't get my head around the proper weathering of yellow.

Anyway, enough excuses. You'll know when this process starts because I will be documenting it through this website to try and help others improve as well; I just have to remember to start taking the camera home with me.

On a parting note, if anyone still has access to the old Confrontation Clan Uraken Goblins, please let me know. Those were my absolute favorite to paint and I greatly regret getting rid of most of mine.

1 comment:

  1. +1 to your getting back to the joy of painting idea. Commission work can help your speed painting skills, but doesnt do much in the way of challenging you creatively. I stopped trying to grind through armies and just paint what I want to paint and am having a blast with it.

    ReplyDelete